Album review: The Chainsmokers - World War Joy

Time for my weekly album review and this week I have chosen the most recent album by The Chainsmokers called World War Joy. This is the third album from the electronic duo made up of friends Drew Taggart and Alex Pall and they are keeping up the great quality of music they have always done. While this isn't their most successful album, not charting in the UK, peaking at 65 in the US but reaching 19 in Australia, I think it may be their best.
I have really enjoyed everything I have heard by The Chainsmokers and it seems each album is not only better but also presents a new aspect to their sound. This album presents The Chainsmokers usual production style but also incorporates more of the featured vocalist or DJ's style that usual, in addition to Drew being even more prominent vocally too. This album contains more collaborators than their previous two albums, making the album more diverse, the collaborators include 5 Seconds Of Summer, Bebe Rexha, Blink-182 and Ty Dolla $ign.
My favourite song on the album is Do You Mind which features Ty Dolla $ign and Bülow with Drew also being a lead vocalist. I had a good feeling when I heard about this song as like the majority of Ty Dolla $ign's music and I have really gotten into Bülow's music over the last year, so hearing them together with Drew's voice and The Chainsmokers production made it sound like the perfect song. I was proven correct as there are so many great things about this song, it has a really chilled and laid back sound that is just really pleasant to listen too. I love the vocal arrangement which starts with all three singers harmonising beautifully then they take it in turns to sing a few lines while the other two are backing vocals and harmonise in between with the order changing throughout, this makes it very interesting.
Honorable mentions go to Call You Mine featuring Bebe Rexha and Who Do You Love featuring 5 Seconds Of Summer. Firstly Call You Mine, if you read my review of the Ugly Dolls soundtrack you will know how much I love Bebe Rexha, which is a lot. It is no surprise that I love this song with Bebe brings her usual powerful vocals and The Chainsmokers production matching with an upbeat sound that rises and falls with Bebe's voice to reflect the joy of being someone's significant other. Next then is Who Do You Love, the fact that I really like 5 Seconds Of Summer is a great starting point. Their pop rock style mixed with The Chainsmokers electronic production made for a brilliant song that is super catchy and has an upbeat sound despite the content being about being cheated on.

Finally we have the ratings for each song;

1. The Reaper feat Amy Shark - 8.5/10
2. Family with Kygo - 8/10
3. See The Way feat Sabrina Claudio - 7.5/10
4. P.S. I Hope You're Happy feat Blink-182 - 8/10
5. Push My Luck - 8/10
6. Takeaway with Illenium ft Lennon Stella - 8.5/10
7. Call You Mine feat Bebe Rexha - 9.5/10
8. Do You Mean ft Ty Dolla $ign and Bülow - 10/10
9. Kills You Slowly - 9/10
10. Who Do You Love feat 5 Seconds Of Summer - 9.5/10

I would love to know what you think of the album and which song is your favourite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 15 films and TV watched in 2022

Album Review: Gregory Porter - Nat "King" Cole & Me

Album Review: Halsey - Manic

Album Review: Lady GaGa - Chromatica (Deluxe Edition)

Album Review: Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia